Dawgs drop another one on the road, fall 73-55 to GW

As Coach Mark Fox’s backcourt goes, so goes Georgia (6-6).

And things did not go very well for the Dawgs on Friday night in the nation’s capital against George Washington (12-2).

Sophomores Charles Mann and Kenny Gaines combined for just 19 points on 7 of 21 shooting from the floor, leaving UGA without many scoring options on the road against a quality opponent. Other than a spectacular performance off the bench by reserve Cameron Forte – who tallied 14 points and 8 rebounds in only 13 minutes of play – Georgia had only one other player eclipse the double-digit mark in scoring (Mann ended up with 11 on the night).

While the Dawgs certainly did not play at an extremely high level for the first 20 minutes, the game was tight heading into the break, with the Colonials leading 28-23. However, Coach Fox’s team could not overcome their carelessness with the basketball, turning it over a total of 20 times in Friday’s contest. George Washington capitalized on UGA’s sloppiness in the second half, converting 14 points off of Georgia turnovers.

The Colonials pushed their advantage out to 39-29 with 16:15 remaining in the game following a Kevin Larsen free throw. Georgia failed to cut the lead below double-digits for the rest of the night, and GW cruised to the 73-55 victory.

George Washington was up by as much as 21 points after a pair of free throws from Maurice Creek with 3:24 left, but then Coach Mike Lonergan pulled in the reigns for the game’s waning minutes by emptying his bench to give the backups some charity time.

Kethan Savage led all scorers with 18 points, and his teammate Maurice Creek chipped in 15 as well.

Sadly, UGA only held the lead once in this game – for about 26 seconds following a bucket from Marcus Thornton. But then GW’s Maurice Creek cruelly snatched it right back for his team, knocking down a jumper to put them up 8-7 with 16:13 remaining in the first half.

As conference play approaches, Georgia has still yet to win a game against an opponent from a larger basketball league, dropping contests to Georgia Tech, Temple, Nebraska, Colorado and George Washington. UGA’s ineptness when playing against these bigger schools does not make this season’s SEC schedule seem very inviting.

January 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Tagged with , ,

1. More of the same. Turnovers, poor rebounding, poor foul shooting, unnecessary fouls . Regressive game, looked like early season. What do they do in practice? No part of the game seems to be an improvement from earlier. No Cannon, a couple of minutes for Frazier, too many minutes for Williams and Dixon.

January 4, 2014 at 1:45 pm

• I was surprised that Cannon did not transfer after last season.

January 4, 2014 at 5:20 pm

2. So incredibly bad, I’m still almost speechless. Parker had a howler. Got loads of PT though. Game sort of puts to rest the notion that particular combinations of players will magically heal what ails us. Bad and sad all around. Sat on couch calculating real costs of supporting this team for a family of six. Kept thinking, “What am I doing?!”

January 4, 2014 at 4:30 pm

• That bad, huh?

January 4, 2014 at 5:21 pm

• Actually yes. :-) I get where I gear up for something special… And it never comes. (I’m pretty sure my wife hates it when I do find somebody televising us.) I get over it, the next game arrives, I’m full of hope again, and then I realize I’m a dope again. I do, however, have really good seats to witness the debacle. I’ll shut up now.

January 4, 2014 at 5:38 pm

• Our situations sound eerily similar…or they are just common emotions experienced by most UGA basketball fans.

January 4, 2014 at 5:46 pm

• I think many of us experience the same thing right now. For the first time ever, I am asking myself why I am paying for a family of four to have great seats, good parking, pregame food, etc….. It has been beyond frustrating watching these guys that really are not D1 SEC caliber players and they are not going to suddenly become them. And the more you think the more you realize that you are going to pay to watch the same players next year. We have no scholarships to give. It is depressing. Usually you always have hope. Right now all seems lost for the next 2-3 years. That is a few thousand dollars down the drain. Last time I felt like this was the season we won the SEC title. That season was a complete disaster until the miracle and then we suffered another half season until the change finally happened. Without a Sundaita Gaines, I do not believe in miracles.

Standup!

January 4, 2014 at 6:25 pm

3. It is getting so bad that I, who NEVER used to miss a game, don’t even look too hard anymore for the TV listings for away games. I wonder how soon we’ll begin to see paper bags in the Steg?

January 4, 2014 at 10:56 pm

4. It has to Get better.

Freeman Thomas

January 5, 2014 at 7:17 am

5. Well, at least we’ll get to see if the administration actually cares about the basketball program after this season. If Fox is still around, we all know what that answer is.

Tony Cole is still a punk

January 5, 2014 at 10:12 am

6. what is the over/under for Georgia SEC wins? remember that we play 18 games now.

I am putting the over/under at 2.5

January 6, 2014 at 9:31 am

7. We are actually playing a good first half at Mizzou. But, like we always do, I bet we come out flat after the half.

Tony Cole is still a punk

January 8, 2014 at 8:45 pm

8. Wow. Just Wow. Played great D. Frustrated the Tigers beyond belief. Hit clutch shots when needed even with a 6 min scoreless stretch. Sub 50% from free throw line and we still win. Ending the longest home win streak in the nation. Neme Neme Neme! Here’s to Mr. Fox’s hope that our team will play some damn defense will continue to inspire us for the rest of the year.

Standup!

January 8, 2014 at 10:42 pm

• Now it will be interesting to see if this inspired performance will carry over to Saturday. I sure hope the students can be bothered to show up.

January 8, 2014 at 11:04 pm

9. Have to echo StandUp! “WoW! Just WoW!” I can’t wait to show my pride Saturday!

January 8, 2014 at 11:37 pm

10. Wow! Where has this team been?

Tony Cole is still a punk